Splash is 30 years old.
5 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT SPLASH:
1. In his review, Ebert also blasted Tom Hanks: “He is conventionally handsome and passably appealing, and he would do in a secondary role. He’d be great, for example, as the straight-arrow brother. Instead, they make him the mermaid’s lover.” Hank’s role had already been turned down by Michael Keaton and John Travolta. Hanks claims to this day that he was the 11th person offered the part.
2. The role of Madison fell to Hannah after it had been turned down by Tatum O’Neal, Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Melanie Griffith, Diane Lane, Kathleen Turner and Sharon Stone.
3. In the restaurant scene, where Madison eats the lobsters for dinner, that’s not real lobster. Hannah, a devout vegetarian, refused to eat lobster meat, so the crew had to dig out the meat and replace it with tofu. Hannah reported sobbed after each take because of all the lobster deaths required in the scene.
4. The fountain from the movie — the one Madison buys for Allen — now resides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World. The mermaid fin Hannah wore is behind the bar at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney.
5. What does John Candy really say in Swedish to the scientists in the movie? “Hey Roring, jag har en tums penis.” Well, “roring” roughly translates as “agitation.” Candy probably meant to say “raring,” which is “honey.” The rest of it, you can probably figure out for yourself.
Read More Here: 5 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT SPLASH: